Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer - Radar Signal & Image Processing (660684) in Dayton (Fairborn), Ohio
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace is a prime contractor leading development teams at AFRL and NASIC. Dayton personnel develop advanced hardware and software systems and provide management services to solve customer problems and create new capabilities. This includes designing and developing software tools and threat models, performing extensive data analyses, and executing modeling and simulations using both internally developed and standard models.
Systems Engineering Solutions provides technical and professional services to defense, intelligence, homeland security and space science markets.
This position is contingent upon contract award
Senior Engineer – Radar Signal & Image Processing:
What You'll Do:
- Conduct data exploitation of non-literal geospatial data to solve tactical, military, and intelligence problems using both real time and forensic techniques. Includes data processing, data analysis, tool development, analytic support, report writing, and presentations.
- Develop signal and image processing algorithms for remote sensor data processing and exploitation.
- Integrate image and signal processing algorithms into processing & analysis applications.
- Analyze utility of and rapidly develop applications for radar and EO/IR multi-spectral sensor data.
- Characterize the performance of radar and EO/IR remote sensing systems and relate sensor characteristics to the performance of automated and manual detection, classification, and characterization of targets.
- Apply rigorous statistical methods and analysis to data collected from a variety of sensors to ensure findings are complete and accurate.
- Develop, enhance, test, and evaluate algorithms to detect, track, characterize, and exploit dim signals.
- Investigate and implement pattern recognition algorithms.
- Develop, enhance, test, evaluate, and integrate scientific algorithms in high-level scientific computing languages (MATLAB, IDL, Python).
- Interface and support formal software transition processes, including system/subsystem/component-level design.
- Responsible for execution of small to medium-size, complex projects.
- Serve as primary customer interface on technical issues.
- Provide specific technical expertise performing high-level analytical assignments across several complex tasks.
- Apply and interpret advanced engineering or scientific theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Develop or direct the development of solutions to complex technical problems where little or no precedent exists and innovation is required.
- Document research through technical reports and papers.
- Lead group efforts to develop and document technical solutions to customer requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Maintain an understanding of the expertise available within our organization and among our corporate partners to ensure we offer our customer the best possible technical solutions.
- Collaborate in an R&D; team environment, to include providing mentoring, direction, and peer review to junior coworkers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, Remote Sensing, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field, plus 8 or more years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree with 8 years of experience and have an active Top Secret clearance with Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred.
- Strong science and math foundation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Radar processing, exploitation, and analysis experience.
- Signal and image processing, pattern recognition, and performance characterization experience.
- Programming skills with preference on high-level scripting languages such as MATLAB, Interactive Data Language (IDL), or Python.
- Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) exploitation, analysis, or processing experience is desired.
- EO/IR or spectral exploitation, analysis, or processing experience.
- Basic GIS knowledge and experience with shapefiles and KMLs.
- Prototype application development.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Engineer - Radar Signal & Image Processing (660684)
Job ID: 660684
Location: OH - Dayton (Fairborn)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time