College of Western Idaho Temporary, Shop Lab Assistant - Powersports in Nampa, Idaho
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: CTE – School of Engineering & Trades
RESPONSIBLE TO: Lab Manager, School of Engineering & Trades
POSITION TYPE: Temporary, Benefit-Eligible
POSITION DURATION: Position is anticipated to end October 2018
ESTIMATED CLOSING DATE: September 29, 2017 at 3:00 p.m. MST
Assist students in lab, maintain and repair hand and power tools; maintain tool and equipment inventory and supply room for applied technology or academic program labs at CWI; procure, issue, and secure tools, supplies, and equipment; maintain computerized inventory systems; perform related work. Assist instructors with instruction as requested.
*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB *
- Assist instructors with instruction in the lab
- Maintenance and Repair
- Troubleshoots, repairs, maintains, and upgrades power tools including air and electric drills and grinders, lathes, mills, sharpeners, arc and oxy-acetylene welding equipment, electronic testing equipment, hydraulic equipment, and pneumatic and other power tools
- Interprets equipment service manuals
- Cleans, sharpens, and lubricates hand and power tools
- Cleans and makes minor repairs on lockers and benches and lifts in workshop and laboratory areas
- Identifies need and arranges for major equipment repairs
- Lab equipment
- Issues tools, supplies, manuals and power equipment for use in CWI educational programs
- Prepares specifications and requisitions for purchase of equipment and supplies
- Inventories and exchanges overalls, lab coats, and shop towels for clean supplies
- Monitors expendable supply reorder levels
- Unlocks and prepares shop labs for class
- Secures tools, equipment and facility after classes
- Supervises work study students in issuing and storing tools
- Maintains computerized inventory system
- Prepares computerized inventory and work order reports
- Instructs students in tool room operation and point of sale program
- Determines proper floor and shelf location for supplies
- Insures hazardous materials are stored and safely disposed of
- Performs and reconciles physical inventory of supply in tool room and lab
- Insures that Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) records are current for all products used
- Verifies quantity and quality of orders and resolves discrepancies with vendors
- Tags supplies and stocks shelves
- Measures and mixes chemicals for redistribution and repackages supplies
- Conveys by words and action the values expected by CWI.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and practical experience of Powersports and Small engine shop competencies.
- Working knowledge of inventory methods, materials and supplies procurement and handling, storing, and shipping methods.
- Experience working with MSDS sheets and safety procedures for caustic, flammable, and hazardous products
- Experience using equipment service manuals to troubleshoot and repair or upgrade power tools and equipment, preparing written material and completing forms, filing and retrieving data using a computerized records system.
- Current experience in Powersports and Small engine Technology industry.
- Teaching certificate from State of Idaho PTE preferred.
- Experience using computerized point of sale and inventory system preferred.
- Teaching experience in the trade preferred.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions which include:
- Repetitive lifting
- Carrying items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Working with chemicals
- Working with power equipment
With campuses located throughout Boise’s vibrant and growing metropolitan area, the College of Western Idaho is the state’s newest community college. In addition to offering a full range of academic courses leading to transfer-ready Associate of Arts or Science degrees, CWI also serves as Southwest Idaho’s provider of Career and Technical Education, Adult Basic Education, Dual Credit courses, and Workforce/ Employment Skills Training.
CWI OFFERS A COMPETITIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE THAT INCLUDES
- Affordable health insurance coverage - medical, dental, and vision
- Opportunity for flexible spending and dependent care accounts
- Generous retirement plan includes:
- Participation in Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho (PERSI) defined benefit plan
- Mandatory employee contribution of 6.79% of earnings
- Employer contribution of 11.32% of earnings
- Employer covered life and disability insurance
- Additional employee, spouse, and dependent life insurance available for purchase
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- CWI tuition reduction for employees, spouse, and dependents (restrictions apply)
- Reciprocal agreements with other Idaho colleges and Universities (restrictions apply)
- Vacation accrued at a rate of approximately 10 hours per month (240 hour maximum)
- Sick Leave accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month
- Approximately 10 paid holidays annually
- Employee discount programs from many local businesses
Tracking Code: 618-801
Salary Range: $13.46 - $16.15 per hour