Youth Policy Institute Tutor - Celerity Palmati Charter Middle School EXL* in North Hollywood, California
Youth Policy Institute (YPI) is seeking an experienced Tutor for its middle school expanded learning program. This position will provide homework assistance and a variety of academic, enrichment and recreational activities for high school students in the Los Angeles area. YPI tutors work directly under the supervision of the Site Coordinator. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and facilitate activities with groups of twenty students.
- Provide students with homework support.
- Develop activities surrounding the academic enrichment, recreation, and the arts.
- Represent the mission of YPI at every site.
- Supervise all participants to ensure a safe learning.
- environment and organized program.
- Actively supervise and facilitate structured playground activities .
- Must maintain accurate daily attendance records and ensure that students sign in and sign out each day.
- Organize and plan special events to promote student work and overall expanded learning program.
- Prepare and implement educational activity plans according to established deadlines.
- Collaborate with the expanded learning program staff and school day staff to increase student success and quality of program.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, and administration.
- Adhere to tutor/student boundaries as outlined in Code of Conduct.
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Attend all required staff meetings and events on and off-site.
- Attend all mandated weekday and weekend trainings.
- Must wear YPI uniform while on duty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, general education diploma (GED); copy will be requested, if hired.
- Must be currently enrolled in college, having completed or working toward the completion of Freshman English, College math (Algebra II) and/or equivalent math credits.
- Must complete a written English/Math assessment at the time of the review.
- Must provide college or university transcripts demonstrating fulfillment of English and math requirements or that they are in progress.
- Minimum one year paid or volunteer experience in tutoring/mentoring environment, preferably with middle school students.
- Must have effective communication skills.
- Proven ability to assist students with academic assignments.
- Interest in any of the following: art, dance, computer, recreation programming, etc.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment as needed.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to arrive to work site at scheduled time consistently. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- Some evenings and/or weekends may be required.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) is a plus.
- CPR/First Aid certification is a plus.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Livescan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days.
- Must complete CPR/First Aid certification within 90 days of employment.
Part-time, partial year. Primarily after school; hours vary per school site
Job ID: 2017-2611
# of Openings: 1
Job Locations: US-CA-North Hollywood
Job Type: Regular Part-Time