Microsoft Corporation Principal Software Engineer in Redmond, Washington
Agile, technically confident, and building for scale – that’s us. We are the Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations Decommissioning (MCIO-decomm) team. We are building a world-class system to automatically plan and execute all the end-of-life processes for hardware. Everything from obtaining replacement capacity, migrating workloads, and ultimately getting the hardware out of the data centers. Our solutions orchestrate and coordinate with systems and processes across many teams in Microsoft - creating and driving clean API’s across them. We acknowledge that the world will never be perfect, so our systems deal with it. Hence, we build systems that are dynamic, highly automated, and easy to operate. We are a tech team with a high business focus. Our processes are agile - adapting to changes and discoveries and delivering incremental value as soon as practical. We partner with many teams across our immediate group and across all Microsoft to leverage each other’s area of expertise.
Joining us, you will touch every Engineering group in Microsoft including Azure, Office, Exchange, Bing, and Windows. We are looking for a Principal Software engineer who is passionate about solving large messy business problems at scale with technology. You must be comfortable working in a start-up/v1 effort, like to deliver value incrementally in a continuous learning environment. You should face the world with a combination of hard-nosed realism and clear-eyed optimism that you can make substantial impact. We are keenly interested in engineer’s familiar with distributed systems, strong background in coding and software design, debugging, and operations experience.
• Proficiency in standard web-based systems is a big plus.
• Strong problem solving and debugging skills Strong in C# or Java. Proficient in one or more scripting languages
• Strong in Relational Databases and SQL including understanding how the DB Engine works. Proficiency in non-relational stores a big plus.
• Proven track record of design and technical accomplishment
• Strong OO and Systems design and architecture skills coupled with a strong delivery focus
• Data driven including strong ability to dissect, analyze, and draw conclusion from disparate data sources Strong operator: strong track record in operating in addition to building solutions
• Leadership Qualifications Strong written and verbal communication at all levels (technical, with peers, with leadership, and with execs)
• Experience in agile and incremental delivery
• Track record of mentoring and growing junior engineers
• Ability to quickly learn on the job - concepts, processes, technologies
• Proven track record of driving consensus and action across teams and job families
• Ability to deliver results despite ambiguity in the requirements and the environment
• Ability to balance digging in the details and tracking the big picture Focus on solving customer and business problems
• MS or PhD in Computer Science or 7+ years in tech environment
• 8+ years of experience designing and developing software in distributed, cloud based systems
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com. Development (engineering)