U.S. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command/9th Army Signal Command Information Technology Specialist (Data Management) in Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
Hawaii is a beautiful state, but may be considered to have a high cost of living. The median house price is $700K. The rental market is high as well. Hawaii has many outdoor activities all year round including surfing, paddling, diving, fishing, and hiking. It is highly recommended that research be done about the cost of living in Hawaii prior to applying. For information about Hawaii, the island of Oahu and US Army Pacific, http://www.hvcb.org
This position is located at: NETCOM/9th Army Signal Command, 516th Signal BDE, 30th Signal BN Network and Switch Division, Schofield Barracks, HI 96857
**Salary includes a 17.92% Locality Payment or Local Market Supplement, subject to change.
11.32% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) is currently authorizedsubject to change.
**Locality rates apply
Who May Apply:Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Priority Placement Program, Program S (Military Spouse) registrants referred through the Automated Stopper and Referral System (ASARS) for this position
As an Information Technology Specialist (Data Management) the incumbent will perform the following duties.
- Responsible for Database Management System (DBMS) software and database server administration for public, private, and development environments,
- Assist primary database administrator (DBA) to carry out day to day DBMS operations and maintenance, to include coordination, installation, and security management.
- Monitor that backups and SQL related jobs are run, monitors performance, capacity, availability and serviceability.
- Troubleshoot and analyzes system failures.
- Develop and maintains security procedures to guard against unauthorized intrusion and unauthorized updates.
- Monitor overall operations of servers.
- Prepare documentation in accordance with Department of Defense, agency, major command, and local standards.
- Design the physical structure of required databases.
- Determine physical storage requirements based on the volume of data and their relationships, size of records, anticipated growth, access methods, and data compression techniques
- Occasional Travel
- Position may require occasional travel.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) may be offered, subject to the availability of funds.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- See "Other Requirements"
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as; Experience using computer hardware and software to analyze data used in preparation of test reports. Preparing systems for the acquisition, storage and retrieval of data. Applying information security, policies, principles, and practices in the distribution of data management services. And 1. Attention to Detail - Performs work necessary to plan, design, develop, document, test and implement databases to ensures adequate internal control systems are developed and operative . 2. Customer Service- Address customer service requirements during the systems development process 3. Oral Communication- Present technical methods and procedures to Information Technology personnel 4. Problem Solving- Troubleshoots any database-related problems ranging from effects of outside systems such as host intrusion systems, or hardware, or memory problems. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service GS-09. You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Database Server Administration
- Skill in using Systems Analysis and Design Techniques
- Ability to Modify Programs for Manipulation of Data
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-09 grade (or equivalent).
NOTE: To support the Advancement requirement you MUST submit a copy of your latest non-award SF-50/NPA that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis along with your application/resume package. Failure to do so may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify.
For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below
Completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
Combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience described above may be used to meet total qualification requirements at the GS-09 Level.
Only degrees from and accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience.
For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
- Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- This position may require possible overtime.
- This position requires the incumbent to meet position requirements for certification at Level II in Information Assurance Technical (IAT-II) within 6 months or less of entrance to duty. Certification requirements may be found in DoD 8570.01-M Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program.
- This position may require occasional travel.
- This position may require employee to be recalled to duty.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 34 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474435200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $70,602 to $91,779 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Series: 2210 Information Technology Management
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: WTEW170970621987243
Control number: 474435200