General Motors Service Programming System (SPS) Engineer - ENG0036595 in United States
This position is for a Service Programming Engineer in the World Service Programming (WSP) Team. Within the team, there are two major roles – Vehicle Systems Engineer (VSE) and Data Engineer (DE), as described below. Within both roles, your goal will be to work cross-functionally along with a wide variety of data and systems, to enable dealership technicians around the globe to successfully program customer vehicles.
Vehicle Systems Engineer (VSE) Key Responsibilities:
Gathers all service programming requirements for each vehicle platform, sets up the TIS screens, and performs on-vehicle validation using an MDI and TIS
- Develop and support vehicle specific Service Programming requirements
- Work with Product Engineering and the Advance Serviceability of Design Engineers (ASDEs) to ensure SPS requirement impacts and limitations are addressed during engineering design phase
- Develop Flow Charts to support Type 4 (i.e. post programming setup) programming development based on Engineering Requirements
- Perform on-vehicle validation checks for Vehicle Communication, Module checks, Type 4 functionality, etc.
- Populate Service Programming System (SPS) database with information to support Tis2Web SPS application
- Support creation of PRTS as needed
- Support initiatives to optimize Technician interface with Service Programming
Data Engineer (DE) Key Responsibilities:
Comprehends manufacturing data and engineering releases in order to deliver the right content for each unique vehicle.
Research and determine service programming support for assigned controllers by utilizing corporate databases to obtain information necessary to populate Service Programming System (SPS) database. Some databases include:
Manufacturing Engineering Reporting System (MERS)
- Engineering Change Management System (E-Squared)
- Global Product Description System (GPDS)
Controller Production File Access (CPFA)
Work with gathered information and query tools such as SQL to update the Service Programming System (SPS) database with control module data, software and calibrations based on engineering release direction
- Identify and author appropriate pre and post programming instructions to assist technician in successfully completing the programming event
Other Key Responsibilities:
The following apply to both VSEs and DEs
- Work with Data File Release Engineers, Advanced Serviceability of Design Engineers, Brand Quality and other teams to resolve issues tied to vehicle software and calibrations
- Verify Service Programming support for assigned control module set up procedures and programming using TIS2Web Simulators
- Assist in resolving CTF reprogramming issues
- Assist Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) in resolving dealership technician reprogramming issues
- Support SPS readiness for product launches, field actions, and EWO actions.
- Support special projects related to Service Programming
- Prioritize work to meet data delivery schedule
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- 5 years experience in analytical position BS degree or equivalent experience.
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally
- Ability to function with limited direction, or in autonomous situations
- Strong attention to detail
- Team Player, with excellent organization and communication skills
- Understanding and capability to work with databases and query tools such as SQL and Oracle
- Knowledge and understanding of General Motors Engineering Release systems (E2, GPDS, APM, CPFA, SPR, etc.)
- Knowledge of diagnostic test modes/services and messages used for vehicle diagnostics and reprogramming
- Knowledge of serial data communications and monitoring tools for all vehicle protocols
- Strong Knowledge of vehicle systems - working technical knowledge with prior automotive service or engineering experience