Alamo Group Inc. Yard Receiver/Driver in Columbia, Connecticut
WH Rose, a division of HP Fairfield and the Alamo Group, has an immediate opening for a Yard Receiver/Driver in our Columbia, CT facility.
The overall function of this position is keep the yard organized and clean, using necessary equipment and to assist with material handling and customer deliveries.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The duties of this job will include but are not limited to the following:
- Keeps yard organized and clean using forklift, crane, and/or boom truck.
- Cleans snow and debris from yard and parking area.
- Mows lawn, trims shrubbery, etc. as necessary to upkeep grounds.
- Verifies specifications of incoming materials or parts with packing list or documentation to ensure receipt of correct part, part numbers, correct quantity and accurately referenced purchase order number.
- Unloads freight as necessary, generally inspecting material packaging to ensure it is free of in-transit damages.
- Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or items to be moved. Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand. Loads materials into vehicles, securing as necessary to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Conveys material to or from storage or work sites to designated area, using hand truck, dolly, or other device. Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination, using crane or hoist.
- Attaches identifying tags or labels to materials or marks on cases, containers, etc.
- Drives truck with capacity under 3 tons to transport materials to and from specified destinations, plants or offices in Vermont or New Hampshire as needed.
- Verifies load against shipping papers.
- Drives truck to destination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads in area. Prepares receipts for load picked up.
- Maintains truck log according to state and federal regulations as well as driving records and other paperwork as needed.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies, such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil and water to ensure safety and maintenance of vehicle.
Performs other miscellaneous duties as required by the Operations Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
Ability to "catch on" or understand instructions and underlying principles.
- Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations including American monetary units.
- Ability to print simple sentences containing subject, verb and object, and series of numbers.
- Ability to perform frequent changes of tasks involving different aptitudes, working conditions, physical demands or degrees of attentiveness without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Self-motivated; able to work without constant supervision.
- Commitment to teamwork.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent. CDL license and certified fork truck operator.
- General Learning Ability: Possess a medium degree ability to "catch on" or understand instruction and underlying principles and to reason and make judgments.
- Eye-Hand Coordination: Possess a medium degree ability to move the hand and foot coordinately with each other in accordance with visual stimuli.
Manual Dexterity: Possess a medium degree ability to move the hands easily and skillfully. Ability to work with the hands in placing and turning motions.
Strength Rating: Heavy Work - Exerting 50-70 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or 10-20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- Constantly: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, handling, depth perception, and field of vision.
Frequently: Fingering, feeling, talking, hearing, color vision.
Constant exposure to outside weather conditions, with occasional exposure to vibration, atmospheric conditions, proximity to moving mechanical parts, working in high, exposed places and exposure to oils and solvents.
Steel toe boots and use of personal protective equipment is a requirement of this position.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be construed as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of employees so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled