BMWC Constructors, Inc. Safety Specialist I - Industrial Construction in Indianapolis, Indiana
The Project Safety Specialist I will provide field safety expertise to assigned projects to ensure a high level of safety performance is attained.
Essential Functions and Requirements
Project Management & Administration
· Assist location Project Managers, Project Engineers and Field Supervision with all safety related tasks
· Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers
· Conduct himself/herself in a professional manner at all times
· Utilizes time effectively and responds to others in a timely manner
· Conduct safety training as needed
· Ensure adherence to federal, state, company, and customer safety policies and procedures on project
· Review daily safety plans
· Conduct field safety audits
· Have a good understanding of governmental, company and local regulations and standards
· Train and educate location management and workers on safety responsibilities, behaviors and accident prevention techniques
· Assist in conducting incident investigations
Innovation & Expertise
· Work with local leadership and field personnel to identify potential hazards and controls
· Work with other contractors and the client to address safety concerns
· Assist in preparing and conducting weekly safety tool box talks
· Must be able to demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills
This position has regular contact with Project Managers, Project Engineers, Field Supervision, Field Personnel, customers, and subcontractors. This position is considered part of the Safety department and reports to the Project Safety Manager and Corporate EH&S Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Qualifications Required: Zero to 5 years’ experience in industrial, construction, or manufacturing setting performing safety duties. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of CFR 1910, CFR 1926, and NFPA 70E. General understanding of area workers compensation. Must be willing to travel to jobsites in the 48 US states, as necessary.
Be able to present in a professional manner that fosters a learning environment.
Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in Safety, EH&S. OSHA 300, OSHA 10 and NCCR
Experience in a construction or manufacturing environment.
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required 40+ hours per week, with the majority of time spent in the field at jobsites. Most work hours will be day shift, but alternative shift work will be occasionally required. This is an exempt position that will require time in excess of 40 hours to complete the assigned responsibilities. Travel is required.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is regularly required to sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time. The employee may be located in a field construction office, which may be of a temporary nature. The employee will be exposed to dust and dirt on a routine basis. Other conditions include foul odors, irritating noises, extreme heat, cold and other severe weather conditions, harsh movement/vibrations, wetness or humidity, dangerous heights, dirty materials and other safety hazards.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts and equipment and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals and the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the environment can be very loud.
Employees are expected to have, utilize, maintain and wear all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required by BMWC Group, the client and any other applicable regulatory agency or management directive.
The employee may be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, lift, carry, pull, grasp, climb, crawl, crouch, sit or bend over for periods without relief. The employee must be able to lift, carry and move up to 50 pounds as needed. Employees in this position must be able to climb ladders and stairs to access platforms and scaffolds, as well as walk around indoor and outdoor job sites with distances up to one mile on uneven, paved, gravel, dirt or sandy surfaces. Employees must be able to work on elevated platforms, scaffolds and landings. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.