Activity Instructor (Drumming): Evening and Saturday at Prince Joshua Avitto Community Center
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain's New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF YOUTH SERVICES, BROOKLYN COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMS
LOCATION: 876 Schenck Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11207
HOURS: Up To 6 Hours/ Week, Non-Exempt (School Year Sept.- June)
JOB SUMMARY: The Activity Instructor will teach a percussion class using various instruments while following and integrating the Good Shepherd prescribed curriculum, and prepare students to present their work at the end of each cycle.
* Help with the recruitment and retention of program participants.
* Responsible to maintain a minimum of 10 students in drumming class/ day.
* Facilitate two music classes per week that follow a social group work model.
* Pre-planning of activity; activities are to provide students with structure, purposeful use of activity and self, including beginning and ending rituals.
* Develop music curriculum based on students' interest. Curriculum should promote creativity, self-expression, opportunity for mastery, and emotional and professional growth.
* Develop several performances for two culminating events, mid-year and end of the year, showcasing students work.
* Attend and participate in staff meetings.
* Facilitate purposeful activities in community hour and participate on other staff lead activities as part of the staff team.
* Foster a youth development, strength's based environment, fostering a sense of belonging, safety, and community to participants.
* Document classes/ workshop planning as required.
* Participate in after school events.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* High School Diploma required. Some college and experience with adolescents preferred.
* Experience and/or training relevant to the position required.
* Must be able to engage young people and set structure and limits in a group setting.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based, youth development and trauma-informed perspective.
Good Shepherd Services is an equal opportunity employer that is proudly committed to becoming an anti-racist and multicultural organization that stands up for justice and equity. We welcome prospective employees from diverse backgrounds, for administrative support and direct service and leadership roles, who will join us on that journey, uphold our values and approach, and believe in our mission. Additionally, we aim to have a racially representative leadership and workforce that is reflective of the communities we work in partnership with.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
Associated topics: community service, customer service, event organizer, liasion, minister, personalized support, project, resource worker, supportive service, vocational support/training
Loading some great jobs for you...