ALDI Corporate Counsel in Naperville, Illinois
We're ALDI, one of America's favorite grocers. We've grown a lot in the past few years, expanding our reach and customer base all around the country. Whether it's in customer service or our exceptional products, we owe our success to the efficiencies we create in every corner of our company and the people at each level who make that happen.
Our Human Resources Department is focused on ALDI’s most valuable asset: our people. With teams including Administration, Employee Communications, Payroll & Benefits, Human Resource Information Systems, Legal, Risk & Security, Recruitment and Training & Development, HR makes sure that ALDI continues to employ talented and motivated people that are focused on preserving the supportive culture we're known for.
Position Type: Full-Time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Counsels leadership on all aspects of daily employment-related issues, including (but not limited to): hiring and termination, accommodations, discrimination, harassment and retaliation, wage and hour, as well as employee investigations.
• Drafts responses to various administrative agencies, including (but not limited to): EEOC, OSHA, state or local human rights departments.
• Recommends best practices in relation to legal and compliance processes and programs.
• Ensures compliance with legal documentation and Company policies.
• Partners and liaises with outside counsel on legal matters, litigation and manages relevant external consultants.
• Counsels on employment/labor law, employee relations, ethics, privacy, transparency, data collection and storage, and regulatory and governmental changes and compliance.
• Forms collaborative relationships with leaders and employees in order to execute strategies and efforts to support the growth/strategic objectives of the Company.
• Researches and keeps abreast on latest developments on legal best practices to serve as a subject matter expert and consultant within the organization regarding critical legal matters.
• Drafts memorandums of law at request of ALDI leadership.
• Analyzes and responds to subpoenas received by the company.
• Recommends process improvements for area of responsibility.
• Serves as a liaison for the Human Resources department.
• Works strategically to provide guidance to various ALDI departments and divisions on employment matters.
• Investigates and responds to charges filed against the Company at the federal, state and local administrative level (e.g., EEOC, DOL, OSHA) and involves outside counsel where appropriate.
• Evaluates and analyzes legal cases then reports findings to leadership.
• Identifies proactive, cost-effective solutions that will eliminate and/or mitigate legal and business risks.
• Manages multiple projects and initiatives with various deadlines.
• Ensures effective implementation and communication of Legal programs, providing visibility of key milestones and progress.
• Researches and advises management on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting ALDI’s labor and employment obligations.
• Communicates unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions and codes.
• Designs, implements, and drives process improvements and infrastructure solutions to enhance the department’s ability to assist the Company and function efficiently.
• Performs pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights, at the instruction of their direct leader.
• Job responsibilities include possible access to HIPAA-protected health information; as such, employee must comply with HIPAA Privacy and Security requirements and policies.
• Collaborates with team members and communicates relevant information to leadership.
• Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Legal Studies or a related field.
• 0-3 years of progressive experience in a business environment.
• A combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• J.D. and overall broad legal knowledge of labor and employment law, litigation, employment agreements.
• Knowledge of United States employment law and ability to assist in defending the Company against employment-related industry charges.
• Comprehensive understanding of current Equal Employment Opportunity Commission policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of how legal issues affect organizations and the ability to develop strategies to coordinate legal considerations to business objectives.
• Ability to anticipate legal risks as well as utilize excellent judgement and analytical skills.
• Ability to interpret and apply company policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of the process for recording, classifying and summarizing financial transactions in accordance with Company, statutory, tax, cost and reporting requirements.
• Prepares written materials to meet purpose and audience.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external parties.
• Understands cost/benefit analysis.
• Effective time and resource management; maximizes productivity.
• Ability to stay organized and multi-task in a professional and efficient manner
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Problem-solving skills.
• Works cooperatively and collaboratively within a group.
• Knowledge of financial analysis strategies.
• Establishes goals and works toward achievement.
• Ability to travel when necessary.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
Major Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance & Prescription Coverage for Eligible Employees
Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays for Eligible Employees
Company Contribution to Retirement Savings Plan
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance for Eligible Employees
Life and AD&D Insurance for Eligible Employees
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI’s receipt of an acceptable and job-related background check, drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.
- ALDI Jobs