St. Joseph Health Medical Receptionist in Santa Rosa, California
Job Summary: This position functions as an interface with patients, physicians, staff and is responsible for handles all incoming calls screening, transferring, and answering appropriately, timely, and efficiently. Takes accurate and appropriate messages. Greets patients/visitors check patients in and out, distributes mail, faxes, etc. Assists department with various duties as needed. In addition, this position will be responsible for obtaining all information relating to patients and facilitates, and collection and dissemination of information to the medical record and information system.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies: Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System.
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship.
• Promptly answers incoming calls, screening and routing appropriately. Takes detailed, accurate, legible messages and accurately documenting distributing and/or tasking messages accordingly.
• Responsible for maintaining knowledge of computer scheduling functions, using proper registration protocols with all new patients, editing existing patient data, and utilizing proper visit types. Maintain knowledge of all providers’ schedules and restrictions. Inputs registration demographic and insurance information into computer.
• Greets patients and visitors to the medical office and obtains all required information to register patient. Ensures/assists patient in completing all forms and routes those forms to the appropriate personnel or department. Reviews current registration information with patient updating information as required.
• Reviews provider schedules in advance to ensure pre-registration of new patients.
• Schedules patient visits per established Standard Work. Confirms appointments, cancels appointments, reschedules appointments and notifies clinical staff of appointment changes per Standard Work. Discusses scheduling conflicts or problems with supervisors or clinical staff. Provides schedule updates during the day.
• Checks patient out at the end of visit as per office procedures. Arrives, cancels and no shows appointments.
• Informs clinical personnel when patient has arrived; routes patient to appropriate clinical area.
• Responsible for collecting payments from patients, post payment in the IDX system, maintaining money drawer, balancing monies and turning in completed batch.
• Per office procedures, determines total charges for visit and calculates patient financial responsibility per established policies and procedures for cash patients. Collects required copayments, payments (cash, check, credit card), issues receipts and records MRN, makes change, etc., per standard of work. Ensures that billing information and collections are routed to appropriate personnel/department. May collect past due balance when appropriate.
• Responsible for informing patients regarding St. Joseph Heritage Medical Group protocols and confirming patient appointments as needed.
• Open or close office as shift requires, ensuring that all doors are secured, equipment turned on/off and communicates problems to supervisor in a timely manner. Oversees the front area for cleanliness, safety and continuous awareness of visitors, alerting supervisor of any issues.
• Performs general clerical duties including faxing, copying, filing, distribution of memos and daily schedules etc. as needed and maintains needed supplies to conduct daily work.
• Responsible for maintaining knowledge of providers, facility locations, facility personnel, etc.
• May assemble and send new patient packets, registration packets, and history/physical forms prior to scheduled appointments.
• Maintains cleanliness and neatness of patient waiting lounge.
• Attends all meetings as required.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Human development knowledge/skills:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for age specific requirement of the assigned unit.
• Age-specific patient needs that employee is required to understand and meet:
Demonstrates the ability to assess and interpret age appropriate data about the patient’s status in order to identify age-specific needs and provide the care needed.
• Additional requirements:
Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the patient population served.
Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources.
Information Management: Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with complete confidentiality and security. Maintains all practices to protect PHI and follow HIPAA guidelines.
Admitting personnel shall have access to all PHI gathered during the patient registration process, including insurance information, admitting diagnosis and physicians involved in treatment of the patient and admitting physician, as necessary to enable the personnel to perform their admitting and registration duties. Access shall be available only on duty and at work.
Risk Management: Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Safety Requirements: Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with ambulatory Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: High School Graduate or GED required.
Experience: Entry level with previous customer relations experience.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills in a Windows operating environment including Microsoft Word, and an e-mail system.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• Knowledge of grammar, spelling and medical terminology.
• General knowledge of healthcare insurance and terminology.
• Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent telephone etiquette.
• Ability to sort and file by alphabet or terminal digit.
• Ability to handle cash transactions and balance cash drawers.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
• Must have excellent public relations and customer service skills.
• Must be able to work under general supervision.
• Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
• Exhibit courtesy/respect for co-workers and willing to help co-workers when needed.
• Excellent organizational abilities.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
• Previous experience as a receptionist in the healthcare industry or as a Medical Assistant is preferred.
• Prior experience preferred in handling and balancing cash highly desirable.
License / Certification: Medical Assistant, Billing, or Front Office Management certification from an accredited vocational school is preferred, but not required.
• MS Word, Excel and IDX experience is a plus.
• Preferred previous experience with computers and/or automated scheduling.
Other: Bilingual (English/Spanish) communication skills.
Environmental Conditions: May include exposure to potentially hazardous material, infectious agents, contact with patients, public and staff.
Physical Requirements: Sitting for long periods of time, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 15 lbs., and grasping.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.