Amazon Web Services Database Engineer in Seattle, Washington
Amazon’s PMO team of North America Ops Engineering is building comprehensive and effective Project Management solutions, supported by AWS technologies, to enable teams across the network to manage and execute projects at accelerated speeds. We are looking for individuals to join our team who are ready to take on challenges, obsess over customers, and pioneer change.
The PMO team is seeking an experienced Database Engineer (DBE) to design, architect, engineer, review, and deploy production database systems to support mission-critical project management tools. The DBE will have deep knowledge and application with all aspects of database engineering in large, scalable environments, including but not limited to being able to install, upgrade, administer, maintain, and customize MySQL databases for highly-transactional distributed environments. Demonstrated experience with AWS services and integration with RDS, S3, and 3rd party applications are required. The role includes scripting and automation across various tools and technologies. The ideal candidate will have experience with Redshift, BI visualization services, and the ability to deep-dive and rapidly troubleshoot complex, technical problems under firm, competing deadlines.
· Ownership of operational stability for existing and new instances of MySQL databases on AWS RDS
· Work closely with business owners, across multiple domains, to ensure best resource-utilization practices while preserving optimal system performance
· Translate and transform data through business-logic induced triggers and stored procedures
· Promote operational excellence across the fleet and the Amazon enterprise through database best practices, design, and delivery on engineering efforts
· Scale to support emerging markets and stakeholders as they become available
· Research, test, and lead in the adoption of new technologies and methodologies that improve database performance, stability, and resource utilization
· Coordinate and troubleshoot infrastructure related issues with 3rd party stakeholders and business partners
· Provide after-hours support as required
Ability to travel up to 20%
· 3+ years of data modeling, ETL development, and RDBMS experience with MySQL databases
· 2+ years of working with Amazon Web Services (RDS, EC2, S3, Lambda, Cognito, etc.)
· Experience with 3rd party application integrations
· Ability to monitor, manage, and optimize highly-transactional, scalable, distributed environments/schemas and service-oriented systems
· Experience in security, resource, schema, and capacity management
· Demonstrated strength in trouble-shooting and root cause identification/mitigation
· Knowledge of data/database migration procedures and tools
· Experience in one or more of: Python, R, Bash, or other scripting language
· Excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to clearly define projects, objectives, goals, schedules, and assignments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
Experience with developing BI reporting solutions leveraging QuickSight, Tableau, PowerBI and/or other visualization tools
Track-record of engineering performance and availability solutions
High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
Ability to interact, communicate, and maintain strong working relationships with application teams across the organization
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/ age
Share this job
CompanyAmazon.com Services, Inc.
Position CategoryDatabase Administration
Company/Location (search) : Country (Full Name)United States