Barclays Distributed Systems Engineer in Wilmington, Delaware
Job Title Sr. Tech Lead *
Location Wilmington, DE *
About Us// *
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
About Barclays in the US
Barclays offers corporate and investment banking and credit card services in the US. Our 10,000 US colleagues are located in offices across the country, with headquarters in New York City. In 2017, Barclays announced plans to create a world-class campus in Whippany, New Jersey, for our Technology, Operations and Functional teams in the US. Other principal locations include Delaware, Nevada, Ohio and Maine.
About Barclaycard Technology
When people think of banks, they usually think of branches, investment banking and board rooms. But online banking, complex international transactions and security require complex technology – and that is why technology is a driving force at Barclays. Please visit our website here for more information.
Overall Purpose of role
Develop and provide technical leadership for the platform engineering team which is responsible for the conception and implementation of the Barclays cloud-native, event-driven reactive platform.
Your Role (Key Accountabilities) *
· Take up technical ownership for key functional areas of business verticals
· Work with various business and technical groups to arrive at solution architectures for complex business domains
· Lead teams of software engineers
· Help drive designs towards asynchronous, functional, reactive systems
· Be responsible for the quality (both internal and external) of software and help address any client satisfaction issues
· Be a mentor and role model for other software engineers
· Employ agile techniques such as task estimation, test automation, deployment automation and continuous integration to enhance overall execution speed and product quality
· Think through hard problems and work with teams to make them reality
· Provide strong communication skills via education and mentoring to team members, business users, and technology colleagues.
· Operate in full compliance with regulatory requirements and internal Barclays policies and standards * *
Basic Qualifications/Skills (Must be quantifiable) ** *
· At least 15 years of overall software industry experience
· At least 5 years of distributed systems experience
· At least 10 years of progressive experience working with complex business architectures
· At least 10 years of experience leading teams of software developers and/or architects
· At least 5 years of experience working with a microservice-based and cloud native architectures
· At least 5 years of experience applying techniques such as domain-driven design, event-driven architectures and reactive systems
· At least 5 years of experience applying eXtreme Programming (XP) practices such as Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Continuous Integration (CI)
Preferred Qualifications/Skills *
Technical Skills * *
· Business capability and domain modeling, including an understanding of domain driven design, including modeling of events
· Deep understanding of different integration patterns and best practices such as events, synchronous vs. asynchronous messaging, peer-to-peer, Publish-subscribe, distributed logs and RESTful APIs
· Microservices topologies, including operational concerns such as resiliency, observability, discovery, and routing, etc.
· Enterprise security design in a Microservices architecture such as the role of Identity Providers and the Authentication / Authorization flow design
· Approaches to managing Architectural debt, Architecture governance and evolution in practice
· API lifecycle management and the corresponding technologies
· You can collaborate with diverse technical delivery teams to build service-based architecture to scale and innovate
· You can design and build user-centric API ecosystems to drive new consumer experiences and unlock business capabilities
· You can speak to various API business models, including internal ROI
· You can help executives balance scorecards and KPIs with the API platform in mind
· You have strong facilitation skills ensure alignment to architectural vision
· You can articulate trade-offs and drive high-impact technology decisions on topics including (but not limited to) IaaS/PaaS providers, container orchestration, service mesh, API gateways, and commercial vs. open source software.
· Have experience with, and understand how to lead, legacy integration and remediation (facades, strangler approaches, et. al.)
· You understand the business risks and challenges that organizations face, and the need to align technical strategies with roadmaps that create business capability and opportunity.
· You understand that leadership is not something you do from far away; you get the importance of taking people with you along the journey. Strong stakeholder management and interaction at different levels is essential.
· You can create and guide the vision for evolutionary architecture and adoption roadmaps for our clients
· Over 15 years of overall software industry experience
· Hands-on experience working with reactive, event-driven architectures
· Very strong with object-oriented programming, domain-driven design
· A DevOps mindset with a continuous delivery mindset and and expertise with cloud technologies such as Kubernetes, Openshift, AWS etc.
· Mentoring: a team and bringing them up to speed on new languages and skills. We all learn from each other, but with the breadth of technical experience you’ll bring to the table, you’ll be an invaluable teacher to your less-experienced peers.
· Thinking big and acting fast: You’ll need a startup mentality with enterprise awareness. That means you can manage competing priorities, that you’re ready to pivot or adjust plans quickly, and that you understand the role you and your team play in major organizations’ tech strategies.
· Influencing priorities: You understand both the business problem and the technical solution, and you’re able to advocate for excellence and effect change when necessary.
Risk and Control Objective *
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
Your Application *
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity *
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Title: Distributed Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: *90160753